Wierd audio behaviour

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 20 11:54:44 CEST 2002

Hi,
	I've been noticing a strange audio behaviour that seems to be specific
to xfce.

I'm running Debian Woody with the supplied xfce (3.8.16), with a 2.4.19
kernel build using the Debian kernel package tools. Current ALSA CVS.
The sound card is a Midiman Audiophile (envy24 based).

For this card the usual mixer tool is envy24control which comes with
ALSA. But when I use the xfce desktop, then whenever there are no audio
apps running there is a continuous full-scale flickering of the level
meters (although there doesn't appear to be any actual output). This
does not occur with either KDE (3.0.2) or with Gnome (1.4?).

Any ideas what might be going on?
	James