key bindings to start applications

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Fri Aug 16 23:35:48 CEST 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > This works, but you wouldn't know it from the example.
> > Key e A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .
>
> I didn't know this works. As far as I know it shouldn't ;-)

If it can't find internal function it is trying to spawn external module.
I was surprised that the default module path is the same as $PATH.
Probably this happens because of the execvp() behaviour (I never was able
to remeber which execXX call is going through the PATH and which does
not).

> > The Beginning of the section that contains that heading tells you to
> > copy the example file xfce from /usr/local/etc/xfce.  Of courese there
>
> I doesn't say file 'xfce'. It say copy the example file. Then in the
> example it says 'cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc'. So you're asked to cp a file
> from a directory.

Well, in fact it says "$HOME/.xfce directory":

"The first step to customize your xfwm configuration is to copy the sample
configuration file to the your $HOME/.xfce directory. The location of this
file depends on the compilation options.  When compiling from source
/usr/local/etc/xfce is the default. For the binary packages this file can
be found in /etc/X11/xfce."

(see http://www.xfce.org/help/html/advanced-wm.html)

Though, I must say, the docs have a lot of small errors, especially in
"advanced" chapters.

> > The xfpager geometry line worked a few times with different settings
> > including those shown, but now it doesn't.  When I leave X with
> > Ctrl-ALT-BS  Then restart with startx, the xfpager now appears at
> > -0+0 and ignores my settings.
> >

> Sorry, don't know. Looks ok.

That may have something to do with session management. xfwm never got a
chance to cleanup things if someone using Ctrl-ALT-BS. Plus I'm not sure
how all components are plying together when managing x resources: you can
use your .Xdefaults files to specify x resources, you can put them in
xfwmrc and xfce panel is modifing resources too. Also, xfpager is xfce
module, maybe xfce is starting it before processing the resources?

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."