key bindings to start applications

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 16 23:09:56 CEST 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:25:20 -0700
Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> Looking thru the advanced config sections/ subtitle
> Keyboard shortcuts and mouse bindings
>
> I find directons how to do it with existing functions but not how to
> set a keybinding to call an application.
>
> The example is:

I admit this may not be entirely clear, but the 'function' you want is
the Exec funtion. Functions can be any of the functions described in
'XFwm commands'

Key e A CS Exec emacs -fn 10x20

> If I wanted to call emacs with a keycombo:
>
> This works, but you wouldn't know it from the example.
> Key e A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .

I didn't know this works. As far as I know it shouldn't ;-)

> The Beginning of the section that contains that heading tells you to
> copy the example file xfce from /usr/local/etc/xfce.  Of courese there

I doesn't say file 'xfce'. It say copy the example file. Then in the
example it says 'cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc'. So you're asked to cp a file
from a directory.

> is no such file.  We are told to copy it to ~/.xfce
>
> Of course this can't be done since, first, there is no file by that
> name and second, there is already a directory ~/.xfce.

This is advanced configuration. You're suposed to know that copy to
<somename> may imply <somename> is a directory. Are you intentionally
trying to not understand this?

> But maybe it means to copy the whole /usr/local/etc/xfce directory to
> ~/, if so it shouldn't be called a file.
>
> Searching for ^Key in /usr/local/etc/xfce
> reveals lots of examples in fvwm2rc...fvwmrc  and xfwmrc
> so apparently xfwmrc is the one to edit.

You can use the others as well (I think). The example already tells you
to copy xfwmrc.

> I think this could be explained a little better, if what I'm doing is
> even right.  The help file actually shows this example:
>
>     $ cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc $HOME/.xfce
>
> Which is just plain wrong.

Read the above. Nothing wrong here. Perhaps $HOME/.xfce/xfwmrc would be
better.

> I managed to get going with the right file I think, and found a few
> things that work
>
> cat .efac/xfwmrc
>
> [...]
>    Key e   A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .
>    Key t   A CS xterm
>    # Key r   A CS RestartFunction
>    # Options for xfpager :
>    #
>    *xfpager.geometry +600+600
>    *xfpager.smallfont 5x8
>
> The emacs call works. The term call doesn't
> And shown commented out here is an attempt to setup a keycombo for
> restart.  It didn't work.

Use Restart instead of RestartFunction.

> The xfpager geometry line worked a few times with different settings
> including those shown, but now it doesn't.  When I leave X with
> Ctrl-ALT-BS  Then restart with startx, the xfpager now appears at
> -0+0 and ignores my settings.

Sorry, don't know. Looks ok.

> I know the file is being read because the emacs call works.
>
> Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?

Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net