key bindings to start applications

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 16 22:25:20 CEST 2002

Looking thru the advanced config sections/ subtitle
Keyboard shortcuts and mouse bindings

I find directons how to do it with existing functions but not how to
set a keybinding to call an application.

The example is:

If I wanted to call emacs with a keycombo:

This works, but you wouldn't know it from the example.
Key e A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .

The Beginning of the section that contains that heading tells you to
copy the example file xfce from /usr/local/etc/xfce.  Of courese there
is no such file.  We are told to copy it to ~/.xfce

Of course this can't be done since, first, there is no file by that
name and second, there is already a directory ~/.xfce.

But maybe it means to copy the whole /usr/local/etc/xfce directory to
~/, if so it shouldn't be called a file.

Searching for ^Key in /usr/local/etc/xfce
reveals lots of examples in fvwm2rc...fvwmrc  and xfwmrc
so apparently xfwmrc is the one to edit.

I think this could be explained a little better, if what I'm doing is
even right.  The help file actually shows this example:

    $ cp /etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc $HOME/.xfce

Which is just plain wrong.

I managed to get going with the right file I think, and found a few
things that work

cat .efac/xfwmrc

[...]
   Key e   A CS emacs -fn 10x20 .
   Key t   A CS xterm
   # Key r   A CS RestartFunction
   # Options for xfpager :
   #
   *xfpager.geometry +600+600
   *xfpager.smallfont 5x8

The emacs call works. The term call doesn't
And shown commented out here is an attempt to setup a keycombo for
restart.  It didn't work.

The xfpager geometry line worked a few times with different settings
including those shown, but now it doesn't.  When I leave X with
Ctrl-ALT-BS  Then restart with startx, the xfpager now appears at
-0+0 and ignores my settings.

I know the file is being read because the emacs call works.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here?