Backdrops in .xpm format

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Aug 3 16:26:25 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Jim Woodruff wrote:

> DESCRIPTION
>        xfbd  is  a very simple backdrop manager for XFce, The Cholesterol Free
>        Desktop Environment.  xfbd  can  be  started  from  xfwm  configuration
>        scripts  and it silently applies user selected backdrop on root window.
>
>        For the moment, xfbd only manages Xpm (X Pixmap) files.

  Which brings me back to an eariler question (that ought to be easier to
resolve than figuring out why my installation won't use jpeg files): How to
convert from .jpg to .xpm without ending up with a screwy image (no color,
missing parts, etc.)?

  I've not had success using either convert (from ImageMagick) nor The GIMP.
As I've used both before this is a rather surprising result. Do I need to
flatten them first, or go through an intermediate step? It should be a
simple task to write a little script that converts (using the tool by that
name) all the backdrop/*.jpg files to .xpm.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com