Backdrops in .xpm format

Russ Pitman rjp at belle.apana.org.au
Sat Aug 3 09:34:56 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:38:14PM -0700, Jim Woodruff wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Russ Pitman wrote:
>
> > It was me/I? sorry it fails for you,that hack was fine on my system,debian
> > ustable, but now I am using the .deb version of 3.8.16-3 and it doesn't
> > have any probs with .jpg backdrops.
> > Can't offer much more.
>

> Russ, I too am using Debian unstable and xfce version 3.8.16-3 but am unable
> to use .jpg files for my backdrop.  In fact, according to the man page for
> xfbd you can only use pixmap files. See the following:
>
> xfce(1F)                                                              xfce(1F)
>
> NAME
>
>        xfbd - Backdrop manager for "The Cholesterol Free Desktop Environment"
>
> SYNOPSYS
>        xfbd [--display] [-i]
>
>        --display host:dpy specifies the server to connect to.
>

>        -i    Starts up xfbd with its graphical user interface.
>

> DESCRIPTION
>        xfbd  is  a very simple backdrop manager for XFce, The Cholesterol Free
>        Desktop Environment.  xfbd  can  be  started  from  xfwm  configuration
>        scripts  and it silently applies user selected backdrop on root window.
>
>        For the moment, xfbd only manages Xpm (X Pixmap) files.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>        If xfbd is started with the option -i the graphical user  interface  of
>        xfbd is displayed.
>
>        and so on.....
>
> It looks like we need to wait until the next release.
>
> Jim

Well all I can assume is that my system can't RTFM :-)

For the exercise I just installed -all- the .jpg files in the backdrop
sub dir which includes some foriegn to those in the disrtibution.

They all worked ok.

I update almost daily, purging and reinstalling may be worth a try?

--
 russ
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference