Rebuilding 3.8.16 for 3D buttons and variable colors

Jonathan Gardner gardnerj at provide.net
Sat Apr 20 16:54:23 CEST 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   As a more experienced linux user than I you'll probably have a good
>   answer to this next question. For an application such as xfce is there
>   any performance advantage by building with processor-specific codes
>   for the i586 and i686? I've done this with kernels but for
>   applications I've gone the i386 route. Your thoughts, please?

Well, this is unscientific in the extreme, but I have much anecdotal
evidence from fellow AMD K6 (mainly K6-II) users writing me to tell me
that my k6 optimised apps run "so much faster" on thier respective
machines. Which reminds me I REALLY have to get to writing those
instructions on how anybody can build their own k6 rpms. It's been on my
todo list for some time.

Cheers,

Jonathan
http://k6-rpms.sourceforge.net