Gimp and XFce (arrow key problem)

Philip Dean phildean at engineer.com
Mon Apr 8 22:52:37 CEST 2002

First let me say thank you for XFce!  It is exactly what I needed.  Gnome and KDE get rather sluggish when you run 1600x1200 @ 32bit.  Although there are some things I would change, many have been mentioned several times, it is a wonderful interface.

Now my question:  I am running xfce 3.8.14c on Mandrake 8.1. (xfce was compiled from source)  I have run into a problem with the key bindings, at least I think it is the key bindings.  In Gimp, the user can use the arrow keys to move floating selections and layers.  This doesn't work with running under XFce.

Things I have tried:
I have edited $Home/.xfce/xfwmrc and removed any key binding with RIGHT LEFT UP DOWN.  I have also edited ~/.xfce/fvwmrc and commented out all of (what I thought was the default) bindings for RIGHT LEFT UP DOWN.  When I restart XFce everything is fine.  The Gimp works correctly.  For a while.  I have not figured out yet if it quits working after a given time, or if it quits after the use of some give key binding in XFce.  What I do know is that it quits working.  If I exit and reload (not restart) XFce it will work again for x amount of time, usually only 5-10 mins.

Has anyone ever had this problem?  Is there anyway that I can permanently remove the default original key bindings?

Also, is there anyway to get xfpager to start in the same place every time???? (that really bugs me)

Thank you so much for any help.  I love XFce, but use the Gimp too much to have its functionality hindered.  Again, thanks.

Philip Dean