[Xfce-i18n] Installing 2 versions of same app

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Mar 19 18:27:58 CET 2014

19.03.2014 17:43, Urien DESTERRES kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there was a simple way to install/uninstall 2
> versions of a same program. This would be a great help for certain
> translations.
>
> For example, I currently use Xfburn 0.4.3 on Xubuntu 13.10. I would like
> to be able to install Xfburn 0.5.0 alongside, make my translations, and
> then uninstall it.
>
> Can that be done without making my system unstable ?

Hi,

I realize this might not exactly answer your question on parallel
versions, but one simple way (depending on what you consider simple) is
to run these bleeding edge versions on a virtual installation of
Xubuntu. This might sound like overkill but at least it won't screw up
your host OS. You also get the added benefit of an uncustomised testing
environment for your translations. Check out virtualbox in the
repositories if you are not familiar with virtualization.

- Jari