[Xfce-i18n] FYI about Tx: You souldn't add any comments in .po files

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 18:34:49 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Genghis Khan <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:

> I have read about it and I think this is a great idea in *addition* to
> previous state in which comments had no intervention, not instead.
>
> Comments, sometimes, play an essential or critical part in future work.
>

> Realisation:
>
> 1. An RTL translator has made a decision to reorder a string by adding
> Unicode Control Characters (henceforth UCC) and consequently wrote an
> explanation in regard to what has been done with the string, so some
> sort of a misplaced layout problem would not repeat itself, in time
> when an original translator of a given string is retired.

Let's make it a feature request:
Dimitris, can you please add an indicator for strings that has non
printable characters in them? (Maybe even marking the locations of this
chars with a distinctive color)

> 2. Here is a scenario where this comment would not be.
> 2.1. The source of the above string has been modified.
> 2.2. String is now fuzzy, due to the modification.
> 2.3. A second translator may erase all of the string along with UCC.
> 2.4. The second translator did not see the translated string in action.
> 2.5. A third translator, who is not familiar with UCC, will see that
> the string is not ordered properly for RTL layout and will ask the
> developers to "Please add support for RTL in this or that" instead of
> having the problem solved already with certain UCC - no coding needed.

Commenting is unique in Tx, you can add comments in Tx but you can't import
the comments from PO files (Nor POT files if I remember correctly) or
export them.
Same with tags.

Pootle has a special method of adding UCC to strings, there's a small
toolbar beneath the string editing textbox, and yet you can't add comments
to Pootle.

The problem you are referring too is much deeper and it lies within
Gettext, you can't expect these guys to fix it, there are better places to