[Xfce-i18n] xfce4-weather-plugin string freeze

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Jan 21 23:07:38 CET 2013

Am 21.01.2013 17:52, schrieb Pjotr Vertaalt:
> I agree with removing the tabs.... Translating was difficult; I could
> only do it by editing the .po file manually. But it's clumsy for new
> translators, and I don't mind a little extra work.

I will try to force monospaced fonts in the pango markup. It may
probably look a bit strange because of the different font, but then I
think alignment is more important here (and can be done with equal-sized
spaces). I would be grateful for more opinions on this and will prepare
a screenshot when I have more time.

> The main thing is that this important plugin is being maintained
> actively, for which I am grateful to Harald Judt. Good job, thank you. :-)

Thanks, it's mostly fun.

> One remark: it feels a bit silly to translate all this general
> information about Celsius, Fahrenheit etc. etc. A lot of translation
> work, while somebody who wants to know what Celsius is and what it's
> historical backgrounds are, can easily find that information elsewhere....
>
> Regards, Pjotr (Dutch translator).

Different people, different opinions. No problem with that. But also no
need to feel silly, as there is no obligation to translate it if you
aren't interested in it. It's true that all those explanations can be
found somewhere else, but then one could also look up the temperature on
one's favorite weather website and live without the plugin, or maybe
write a script for the genmon plugin to fetch the temperature with wget etc.

Of course, I first thought about only explaining some labels like clouds
etc. but then that already made up half of all that stuff, making the
total picture a bit incomplete, so I went on and added descriptions for
the remaining terms, even though some might not really have needed an
explanation - that's perhaps the reason some of them lacked a bit of
quality, though I hope I improved them a bit with the recent commits.

Look at it this way: There are lots of weather plugins out there (for
kde, gnome, android,...), but in general, I find they look pretty
similar, and if you know one, you'll know the others. Now which of them
has a small compendium integrated? ;-) To sum up, it makes the plugin a
bit more unique, and I like its (well, admittedly pseudo-)scientific and
self-explaining approach. While writing some of the descriptions was
certainly a bit tedious, I had much fun gathering information and
exploring into that weather universe. In fact I've learned quite a lot
of things related to weather forecasts and measurement, and I'm grateful
for that.

Anyway, you're doing a great job so far translating the plugin into your
language, and I consider your contributions very valuable. If you don't
like the descriptions, that's fine for me; But I hope you like at least
the other aspects and improvements.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'