[Xfce-i18n] Documentation Wiki Online

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:44:59 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Pjotr Kan <pliniusminor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Nick,
>
> The *-docs have disappeared from the master core collection, which is
> good. But not yet from the 4.8 core collection....
>
> I'd like to see them disappear there as well: 4.8 will remain
> important for years to come (the next Xubuntu will be Long Term
> Supported). So the 4.8 documents should be in the wiki too, I think.

We're not going to hookup the buttons to the wiki for the 4.8
packages, so removing the manuals won't happen (4.8 branches are bug
fix only).

However, most of the documentation will also apply to the 4.8
packages, only a small number of dialogs changed in 4.10, so even for
4.8 users the wiki will give some valuable information. We can also
note function X appeared in release Y.
That is also what the xfce4-docs package will be: a snapshot for
stable releases (starting for 4.10, when the wiki jumped to 4.12).
Then hopefully the wiki can contain manuals for the latest stable
release, without too much branching.

It is nice Xubuntu has a LTS, but Xfce != Xubuntu. Maybe there will be
a small bug fix release for 4.8 during 4.10, but most of the time this
won't happen.

Nick