[Xfce-i18n] Ristretto String Freeze

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Sun Jan 8 20:04:31 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 20:37, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> \n is used as a breaking line, and should preferably not be used at the
> exact same locations. It is best to test the translated message, but in this
> case it's very technical to run the test, I had suggest to insert no
> breaking lines at all (let thz GTK dialog handle the breaks), or do it
> depndending on the size of words.
>
> However when there are two breaking lines following each other (it's the
> case here), then you must include them in the translations as well.
>
> I hope this clarifies it for you :)

Thank you for clearly explaining this. I do know what \n does. But
sometimes I can't test the dialog myself and I almost blindly break
the lines in the translated text. Even when testing, the lines will be
longer or shorter, depending on the font used and its size.

My opinion is that \n should not be abused like that, if GTK+ can
handle the breaks in the dialog (and I think it can), the author
should have let GTK+ handle the line breaks and only insert \n\n
between the paragraphs.

Or, even better, split the string in two and get rid of \n\n too. But,
again, my experience in developing GTK+ apps is close to non-existant.

--
mișu