[Xfce-i18n] Ristretto String Freeze

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:37:37 CET 2012

Hi,

Le 8 janv. 2012 17:24, "Mișu Moldovan" <dumol at xfce.org> a écrit :

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 14:43, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >> (Unless a change really really necessary, but I doubt that -- if so,
> >> I'll announce it here)
> >
> > I am a bit embarrassed to have to say this, but I have just pushed the
> > following commit: [snip]
>
> May I advise against abusing \n? This new string is quite difficult to
> translate correctly:
>
> The thumbnailer-service can not be reached,\nfor this reason, the
> thumbnails can not be\ncreated.\n\nInstall <b>Tumbler</b> or another
> <i>thumbnailing daemon</i>\nto resolve this issue.
>
> Even if I put all the \n instances in their right places I'm not sure
> how the text will look in Ristretto's error dialog because of
> different font sizes and all... I'm not into GTK+ developing but there
> should be a better way of formatting this error dialog and its text.

\n is used as a breaking line, and should preferably not be used at the
exact same locations. It is best to test the translated message, but in
this case it's very technical to run the test, I had suggest to insert no
breaking lines at all (let thz GTK dialog handle the breaks), or do it
depndending on the size of words.

However when there are two breaking lines following each other (it's the
case here), then you must include them in the translations as well.

I hope this clarifies it for you :)
Mike