[Xfce-i18n] How do test translated files

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 30 10:14:25 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, den 30.07.2010, 00:48 -0700 schrieb Gheyret Tohti:
> Hi,
>

> I am coordinator Uyghur translation team. I finished about 70%
> translation of XFCE4 projects.
> By the way how can i test those translated files?
> In ubuntu use msgfmt to make "*.mo" file and copy it to language pack
> directory.

Hi Gheyret,

you can do the same in Xfce. Download the po file from transifex, use
msgfmt to make a mo file of it and copy it to
/usr/share/locale/ug/LC_MESSAGES/.

It is a good idea to test the translations by actually using them. I
think all translators should do this because often a meaning of a word
depends on the context and therefor it is important to see where in the
program it appears.

When you are translating master, the development branch, you will need
to use Xfce built from git to see all translations, but most of the time
testing on 4.6 should be fine.

Thanks for helping us to translate Xfce!

Regards,
Christoph