[Xfce-i18n] How do test translated files

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 05:10:01 CEST 2010

>From http://lists.moblin.org/pipermail/l10n/2009-October/000143.html

8<------
more useful is probably to know that you can copy this .mo file and start using
the application with your new translation right away:

example: powertop:

I translate nl.po for powertop with poedit. poedit saves a `nl.mo`
file to disc. I
then `cp nl.mo /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/powertop.mo` and restart
`LANG=nl_NL powertop`. Voila! powertop is showing my new translations without me
having to wait for the developer to commit and build.

BUT

Even more important is that everyone should be doing this. Because it
is the only
way for you to verify that your translations actually look OK in the real
situation. You can often not get an idea of the true context of strings just by
looking at poedit (even if the comments are really good). The only way to test
your translation is to use the .mo file every time you do translations.
------>8

2010/7/30 Gheyret Tohti <gheyret at yahoo.com>

> Hi,
> I am coordinator Uyghur translation team. I finished about 70% translation of XFCE4 projects.
> By the way how can i test those translated files?
> In ubuntu use msgfmt to make "*.mo" file and copy it to language pack directory.
> Bu I dont now how to test XFCE4 language file.
> Please help me.
> Best Regards
> Gheyret Kenji
> 2010/07/30