[Xfce-i18n] Xfce 4.8 entering string freeze / schedule information

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Dec 5 17:30:22 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

just a few seconds ago, we released Xfce 4.8pre2. Today starts what we
call "string freeze". It means that from now on until the final 4.8
release, strings in the master branches of Xfce core components may no
longer be changed. There may be a few exceptions, you never know. But
in general this means that translators can now rely on the strings to
be stable until the final release.

On January 2nd, 2011, we will most likely release Xfce 4.8pre3 and from
that date on, not even bug fixes are allowed anymore - just
translations. Bug fixes will, for a short time of two weeks (until the
final release), be pushed to special branches that will be merged
shortly after the final release.

The final Xfce 4.8 release is scheduled for January 16th, 2011. There
are quite a few known bugs at this point, but I still think this
release date is realistic. And after all, we can still push out
stable bugfix releases for the individual components after 4.8.

Just as a reminder: the entire schedule is available on

  http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.8/schedule

and the formalities can be read again on

  http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/release-model

Happy using/testing/translating 4.8pre2!

  - Jannis