[Xfce-i18n] Some doubts about the new translation workflow

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 09:19:20 CEST 2009

Hi,

2009/9/7 Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>> I used to use the subversion script, generate the diffs and send them
>>> to this mailing list. This was slow.
>>>
>>> I prefer to work against my local read-only copy of the subversion
>>> (now git), and when I want, send all the changes easily (like the
>>> patches) and commit them in few time (the committers used to appear
>>> two or three weeks after I submit the patches). Is there any way to
>>> work against a git local copy and then send all the files in one
>>> archive to Transifex?
>>
>> Well, you can of course have a local copy of the git repository. If you
>> update it before translating the .po file, you can then upload the .po
>> file to Transifex, clean the changes made in your local copy and update
>> it again. However, that'll work around the locking feature of Tx and it
>> might also cause you (or someone else) to overwrite other people's
>> translations (or yours). So all in all, this is not a good idea.
>
> I'll use the local copy only to get the new .pot files, and every time
> I open my .po files I'll syncronize them with the latest .pot file. I
> don't see any problem! If you get the file, you can translate it, and
> if another people are working on it, you shouldn't work on it, but
> with communication within your language team there is no problem (and
> of course not touching other languages files).

I wrote a small script that just downloads po files, and to make
things easier I've put it here: http://snipt.org/mOn

It doesn't download the po-doc files, but I think these are less
important for the moment. Also it doesn't make use of version control,
it downloads the plain files from the latest revision of branch
master. As written, it's a quick-n-dirty download script, if it fits
your needs I'll be glade for you but if it doesn't you can perhaps
find your way into hacking it.

Regards
Mike

>> Uploading several .po files at once doesn't work either.
>
> This sucks!!! For translating openSuse we have a system called
> Vertaal. Its predecessor let to upload a tar.gz with fifty .po files
> or more.
>
> Bye,
>                Leandro Regueiro

Mike