[Xfce-i18n] Use of underscores instead of spaces

Abel Martín abel.martin.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:13:16 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Maximilian Schleiss
<maximilian at xfce.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 octobre 2008 à 15:48 +0200, juha a écrit :
>> Jari Rahkonen kirjoitti:
>> > How about mapping the file names to proper US English in the code? That
>> > would probably be relatively easy, although checking all the strings for
>> > ascii mangled location names for the "translation table" might be a bit
>> > time-consuming.
>> >
>> > - Jari
>> >
>> And most of the processing happens in the ical code, which does not
>> really help...
>> But, yes that was my rough idea also. Basically I just need to replace
>> '_' with ' '.
>> Still too risky for 4.6
>>
> You could try and make a branch of Orage, before beta 3 release, with
> the modified spaces and we could test it? That would leave us roughly
> "20" days time to modify the affected strings.
>
> Note that I have no idea how much time it would take to make the
> modification and on the other hand, this is not a big issue and can
> resolved in later times.

Well, I have a crappy sed one-liner that will do the trick for almost
every translated city with underscores except for "Dar es Saalam" and
"Buenos Aires" (I might be missing others). If you want to use it
backup your po file first, please. Here it goes...

sed -r -i "s/(^msgstr\ \"\w+\/)(\w+)_+/\1\2 /g" your_po_file

If there's a sed expert around who wants to share a better and more
elegant way to do this he'll be welcome :)

Regards,
Abel