[Xfce-i18n] Spanish translation team wiki page created

Abel Martín abel.martin.ruiz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 10:35:09 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Christian Dywan
<christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:
> Am Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:21:18 +0200
> schrieb "Abel Mart__n" <abel.martin.ruiz at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I created a preliminary version of a wiki page for the Spanish
>> translation team. It includes some conventions and a rudimentary
>> control system for translations being worked on. Here it is:
>> http://i18n.xfce.org/wiki/team_es
>>
>> I am Spanish, so the words I've been using might sound uncommon for
>> non-Spaniards. Do you think I should be creating es_ES.po files or
>> should I stick to es.po ones? I think it's better to have strings
>> translated rather than untranslated ones, provided they are understood
>> by Spanish speakers.
>>
>> What do you think? Suggestions are welcome (as well as complaints).
>
> Heya,
>
> I suggest, you should pick one 'default', whatever it is, and then, if
> you have enough time, make additional local versions.
>
> I'd like to see you unify most of the Xfce components as
> appropriate, for instance I took a look over the wiki page and it says
> 'File ___ Archivo' whereas Thunar currently uses the term 'Fichero'. This
> is just one example I easily spotted because it's a toplevel item,
> there might be others.

Yes, actually I wasn't sure about how to translate "File", but
"Thunar" identifies itself as "Administrador de archivos" and not
"Administrador de ficheros" or "Gestor de ficheros" in Spanish.
Another point for "Archivo" is that many other applications use this
word instead of "Fichero", plus shortcut keys to access the "Archivo"
menu have been Alt+A for a long time in many applications and OSs. I
think this translation suits better because of the historical usage of
the word "Archivo". My personal preference would have been "Fichero",
but as you can see I didn't translate it arbitrarily.

> Personally I would also suggest using the Spanish term 'red' as in
> 'Navegador red', but that's up to you and other translators, feel free
> to disregard my opinion. ^_^

"Navegador de red" sounds to me like a tool used to analyze a network.
I think "red" has a broader meaning, and "web" has a particular one:
the world wide web. Nowadays "web" is a common word in Spain.

No disregard at all. Your opinion is welcome :)

PS: I have other questions about capitalisation, but this will be
subject for another mail.