[Xfce-i18n] [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Fri Oct 3 03:00:44 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:33:47 +0200
schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> > > I disagree. I'd prefer "Kommandozeile" or "Terminal-Emulation"
> > >

> > What exactly are you now referring to? Kommandozeile for prompt and
> > Terminal-Emulation for the Terminal (which is its respective own
> > name, by the way, such as translating the "KDE Konsole" to
> > "KDE-Konsole", or "Mousepad" to "Mausablage", "Xarchiver" to
> > "Xarchivierer" etc)?
>
> :)
>
> > I tried to make clear that there has to be a distinction between
> > command line/prompt and the terminal application, which is *named*
> > "Terminal" -- and I really can't see the point in translating an
> > application's name.
>
> Nobody wants to translate the name of the "Terminal" application but
> "terminal" is a general term, not only for THE terminal app of Xfce
> and so it should be translated.
> It's just confusing that the application in Xfce is named exactly as
> the general application type, Terminal. But in the translated string
> we are discussing about, the application type is referred to, not the
> Xfce Terminal.
>
> I dont mind whether we use 'Kommandozeile' or 'Befehlszeile' if the
> original term actually refers to the prompt. When referring to the
> application type, I agree with Fabian and we should use 'Terminal' (as
> this was also in my first attached patch).

As for the semantics, I think 'Terminal' equals 'Konsole' in the form
of an application, or physically the machine you are working with.
'Kommandozeile' and 'Befehlszeile' do refer to the actually command
line interface, that is what's inside the window, or even a true
command line without any graphical interface around it.

In the context of the launcher I think all those terms are equally
correct. Thus I would think choosing either of the non-application
names should be the best idea. At least I'd like it if we could avoid
the ambiguity of a launcher suggesting an application - afterall that's
what I started the discussion for in the first place, ie. not
seeing 'Mozilla' where there is no such application.

ciao,
    Christian