[Xfce-i18n] [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Thu Oct 2 14:33:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 05:38:36 +0200, Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>
wrote:

> > > What we are instead using already since the 1960s, is a Terminal
> > > in both English and German language. So it really can't be
> > > regarded as a non-German word, it might still be called a foreign
> > > word, but I'D rather say it has already become a lenaing word.
> > > And inside the Terminal, there's a command line, whose direct and
> > > bad translation is "Kommandozeile", because we have a way nicer
> > > word for the strange "Kommando" which is simply "Befehl". And
> > > this one directly reflects what you are doing inside a Terminal:
> > > you enter commands -- "Befehle".
> > >
> > > So it's a nice, easily understandable "Befehlszeile" and nothing
> > > else when you're referring to the prompt
> >
> > I disagree. I'd prefer "Kommandozeile" or "Terminal-Emulation"
> >

> What exactly are you now referring to? Kommandozeile for prompt and
> Terminal-Emulation for the Terminal (which is its respective own name,
> by the way, such as translating the "KDE Konsole" to "KDE-Konsole", or
> "Mousepad" to "Mausablage", "Xarchiver" to "Xarchivierer" etc)?

:)

> I tried to make clear that there has to be a distinction between
> command line/prompt and the terminal application, which is *named*
> "Terminal" -- and I really can't see the point in translating an
> application's name.

Nobody wants to translate the name of the "Terminal" application but
"terminal" is a general term, not only for THE terminal app of Xfce and
so it should be translated.
It's just confusing that the application in Xfce is named exactly as
the general application type, Terminal. But in the translated string we
are discussing about, the application type is referred to, not the Xfce
Terminal.

I dont mind whether we use 'Kommandozeile' or 'Befehlszeile' if the
original term actually refers to the prompt. When referring to the
application type, I agree with Fabian and we should use 'Terminal' (as
this was also in my first attached patch).

Regards,
Enrico