[Xfce-i18n] [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Oct 2 15:14:51 CEST 2008

Am Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:21:59 +0200
schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

> > > It seems we can't get to an agreement on this :). Therefore it'd
> > > be cool if any other German translators could state on this, I'm
> > > fine to use 'Netzvaigator' if others think this fits well and I
> > > didn't know that it is similar in French and Spanish.
> > > Sorry.
> >
> > Web-Browser ain't German, as it is one of these stupid "I have to
> > avoid Deppenleerzeichen" translations. A nice and fitting term is
> > "Webbrowser". By its writing, it is fitted into German  writing
> > style,
>
> Well, this discussion was mainly about 'Web[-B|b]rowser" vs.
> "Netznavigator", I don't care much about the dash in between,
> obviously it's better without it.
>
> So, do we agree to use 'Webbrowser'?

"Webbrowser" is fine. It's used all across Wikipedia. Of course, this
doesn't have to mean much but it just seems to be a commonly used term.

As for "Netznavigator": Remember Germany is not Iceland. We rarely
make up new native words for words coming from foreign languages. We
use to adopt them first as a "Fremdwort" (e.g. chic, Ketchup) and
sometimes transform them into a "Lehnwort" (e.g. schick, Ketschup) which
is the original foreign word modified so that it fits nicely into the
rest of our own language. IMHO we should rather use whatever convention
or common usage there is instead of inventing new words people won't
understand.

  - Jannis