[Xfce-i18n] WG: Re: [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Abel Martín abel.martin.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:32:29 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Michael Kremser
<mkspamx-xfcei18n at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Web-Browser ain't German, as it is one of these stupid "I have to
> avoid
> Deppenleerzeichen" translations. A nice and fitting term is
> "Webbrowser". By its writing, it is fitted into German  writing
> style,
> it is quickly readable. We never started the French way of keeping our
> language, so we can't start it now by introducing previously unknown,
> new terms. To navigate some strange "Netz" ain't any better than
> browse the already known world-wide web, frequently referred to as the
> "Web" in German everyday language as well -- in contrast to
> "Netz".
>
> I totally agree with Fabian. If I ask my girlfriend (she's no computer
> expert) what a "Netznavigator" could be, may be she would think I ask her
> something belonging an electricity network or a mobile phone network. Most
> non-computer experts in German speaking areas understand "Webbrowser" very
> well, so I see no reason why not using it.

I'm not a German expert, but these are the results when googling both words:
webbrowser - 4,470,000 German pages for webbrowser
netznavigator - 312 German pages for netznavigator

I think we must have users in mind when translating since it's people
who give words their meaning.

Regards,
Abel