[Xfce-i18n] WG: Re: [de][Patch] xfce4-web-browser mistranslation

Michael Kremser mkspamx-xfcei18n at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 2 09:19:18 CEST 2008

Web-Browser ain't German, as it is one of these stupid "I have to
avoid
Deppenleerzeichen" translations. A nice and fitting term is
"Webbrowser". By its writing, it is fitted into German  writing
style,
it is quickly readable. We never started the French way of keeping our
language, so we can't start it now by introducing previously unknown,
new terms. To navigate some strange "Netz" ain't any better than
browse the already known world-wide web, frequently referred to as the
"Web" in German everyday language as well -- in contrast to
"Netz".

I totally agree with Fabian. If I ask my girlfriend (she's no computer expert) what a "Netznavigator" could be, may be she would think I ask her something belonging an electricity network or a mobile phone network. Most non-computer experts in German speaking areas understand "Webbrowser" very well, so I see no reason why not using it.

Greetings,

Michael