[Xfce-i18n] Ambiguous string in libexo

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Nov 23 20:47:19 CET 2008

Am Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:01:05 +0100
schrieb Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:

> Am Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:50:52 +0100
> schrieb Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>:
>
> > Le Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:22:23 +0200,
> > Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There's a new string in libexo that is a bit unclear:
> > >
> > > #: ../exo-helper/main.c:206
> > > #, c-format
> > > msgid "Unknown helper arguments.\n"
> >
> > helper is actually the program name, you can read it shorter as
> > "Uknown arguments.\n", or "Unknown xfburn arguments", etc.
> >
> > > Does this mean that a helper was passed arguments that are invalid
> > > or that it is not known which arguments were or are to be passed
> > > to a helper? Something else entirely? A helpful comment for us
> > > translators would be welcome, but a revised string might be in
> > > order.
>
> Having "helper" in the English strings isn't really a good thing IMHO.
> Most users only use the GUI and don't even know what is actually meant
> by "helper". So something like "Unknown program arguments.\n" or
> something would be better I guess. As long as this is not changed,
> you can translate it like that.

I second that. I really doubt that someone can conclude the relation
between a Preferred Application and a 'helper', even if they know what
exo-open is good for. Note especially that 'exo-open --help' refers
only to 'types' of 'applications'.

So I'd rather see that string talk about 'application arguments' in the
same way as it is used in the help output. Or just localize it
accordingly for the moment.

Yours,
    Christian