[Xfce-i18n] Update of German translations for some Goodies

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Mon Nov 10 01:18:40 CET 2008

Am Sonntag, den 09.11.2008, 23:26 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 23:17:33 +0100, Christian Dywan
> <christian at twotoasts.de> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> even though nobody asked for my opinion, here it is :):
>

> >> msgid "Take a screenshot of the desktop"
> >> msgstr "Bildschirmfoto des Desktops erstellen"
> >
> >I was confused with regard to the meaning of "desktop" here, due to the
> >ambiguity of the term. In this context it actually means "the whole
> >screen" or "the whole workspace". And Jérôme agreed that he would be
> >fine with the equivalent translation, yet he won't change any things
> >before the coming release.
> >Would you consider to either of the following:
> >
> >"Bildschirmfoto des gesamten Bildschirms erstellen"
>
> this is IMO the best and less confusing one.
>

> >"Bildschirmfoto der gesamten Arbeitsoberfläche erstellen"
>
> This leads to the question what exactly means "Arbeitsoberfläche", "des
> gesamten Bildschirms" is completely clear.
>

> >>  msgid "Screenshot tool"
> >> -msgstr "Bildschirmfoto"
> >> +msgstr "Werkzeug für Bildschirmfotos"
> >
> >I find this literal translation in German very akward. I would suggest
> >to go for "Bildschirmfoto erstellen". That's a very intuitve name for
> >the item and imho much better.
>
> Yeah,  "Bildschirmfoto erstellen" would also be my choice.

Ah yeah,

I just stick to the last translation pretty much (mostly in order to not
"destroy" recent translators' thoughts and work, so leaving "Desktop"
unchanged) and continued in the way I understood it (i.e. taking
pictures of the windows instead of the whole desktop with the
differentiation of the two components in the one string and a
generalization in the other one), but I completely agree on the proposed
translations with no special arguments against any of the more specific
proposals; so if you just send  an update of your version to the
current, new svn, Christian?

Additional ideas are "Bildschirm aufnehmen", "Aufnahme des Bildschirms
machen", "Bildschirmfoto machen"; and anything is better than just
"Bildschirmfoto" (which wasn't necessarily a wrong translation but a
former translation of sth. else). Also, the plural form might be nice.

Anyway, when it comes to transforming "thingy tool" to "do things" when
translating, the msgstr actually might have to be changed as has been
recognized fot lots of the Xfce core components' strings as well -- so
you might want to talk to Jérôme about that as well? Also, "of the
active windows" seems to be wrong, it just takes one picture of the only
active window on my machine here.

Btw., I would then decleare the screenshooter plugin as "revised" for
the revision process with three agreeing minds  ;)

Good night

Fabian