[Xfce-i18n] WG: Re: Translation of "Application" and "Places" to German

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Aug 14 11:52:34 CEST 2008

Christian Dywan kirjoitti:
> Am Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:19:03 +0200
> schrieb Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 13.08.2008, 20:50 +0000 schrieb Michael Kremser:
>>> Indeed, installation of the "language-support-gnome-de" package
>>> changed "Clear" to "Leeren". Anyway, there's still "Applications"
>>> and "Places" there.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> To be honest, I'd rather have a look at what Gnome and *Ubuntu chose
>> as default translations. IIRC, it is "Anwendungen" and "Orte". You
>> might want to have a look at http://i18n.xfce.org/wiki/team_de and
>> insert your name below and coordinate a little bit at what exactly
>> you would like to work on.
>
> Note that "Places" is actually called "Orte" on my box. And if I empty
> the entry in the properties and close the dialog, it uses the
> localized string again. So if it doesn't work in Xubuntu, it looks to me
> like a problem with Ubunutu but not the plugin itself.

If you have not changed the title manually in the configuration dialog,
it appears that your distro already does the substitution at install time.

However, the field simply doesn't accept an empty value but reverts to
it's previous content, not any particular localized string. You can see
this if you replace the text with something else and then try emptying
it again. You don't need to close the dialog by the way, just tab away
from the field after each change.

> That does however not work for the Menu, which does not display
> anything if the string is empty. Sounds like a good idea to let the Menu
> label do the same in the future, ie. use a localized title in that case.
>
> ciao,
>     Christian

True, the menu plugin does not seem to check for an empty string at all.

- Jari