[Xfce-i18n] Xfce 4.4 translations priority for all languages

Maximilian Schleiss maxschleiss at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 6 21:45:32 CET 2007

Mişu Moldovan wrote:
> În data de 06 Feb 2007 la 12:52:24 +0100 Maximilian Schleiss a scris:
> [snip]
>
>> To find out what your language is up to, you can search for it in the
>> branches 4.4 section of the statistics page
>> http://i18n.xfce.org/stats/index.php?mode=2#br-xfce_4_4. This section
>> does not include libexo, terminal and thunar, for these you will
>> still, for the moment, have to translate in trunk.
>>

> Hi Max,

Hi Mişu,

>  * the stats for the Romanian[1] localization of Xfce 4.4 only show
> the completed packages, I had to compare with stats for Catalan to see
> what's incomplete or missing

This is absolutely right, the code behind the statistics pages does
check the completeness of the files present but it does not show which
files are missing... A only solution to this problem is to use the
scripts for xfce_4_4 from the i18n website and create a local tree of
the 4.4 version core packages and look what files are missing. If your
language is not listed in the top 5 then you can be sure some package is
missing or some translations are not up-to-date.

>  * I couldn't find the "xfce4-eyes-plugin" package listed in the stats
> for the trunk[2] in the web interface at http://svn.xfce.org

I am not sure to understand what you mean because the link you sent does
indeed list your language and this link http://svn.xfce.org/svn/goodies/
shows the folder within the svn tree. The scripts in the
i18n.xfce.org/svn_howto also have the plugin listed, so if you use these
you will have a local tree with the files to translate.

Am I missing something here?

>  * do you have a release date for Xfce 4.4.1? And in addition to
> telling us the release date would it be possible to know what the
> deadline for submitting po's is? I assume the packagers need some time
> for preparing the tarballs but the procrastinator in me needs to know
> the exact day and hour before which submitting a po would surely result
> in including it in the next release.

Naively I did not one moment think of this question rising up. There is
no date for the next release to come, yet there will be a release,
bugfix or translation release or both. The packagers keep themselves
three days to freeze the commits and create the tarballs and all that is
necessary for a release.

Your best bet is to just begin translating and try your best to finish
as soon as you can. If you really need a deadline, fix yourself one,
say... a month from now on to finish the core packages in the branched
version.

The whole website needs to be translated also, the existing docs, new
projects like the archivers, burning applications, thunar-volman... The
work is waiting for you ^_^

> Thanks,

Thank YOU for the time you invest in helping Xfce internationalize,
Max.