[Xfce-i18n] Translations in Rosetta

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat May 6 00:02:14 CEST 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006 16:54:27 -0300, "Álvaro Justen [Turicas]"
<turicas at staff.ubuntubrasil.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> I use Ubuntu as my default distro and use XFCE as default window manager.
> I'm in a project called Xubuntu, that is Ubuntu with XFCE as default
> window manager.
> I created a Brazilian Team to translate Xubuntu software, but it is
> very hard to translate XFCE, because it is in other server (and don't
> has Rosetta ;)
> XFCE (and it's packages) is the unique Xubuntu software that isn't in
> Rosetta, so users that want to translate Xubuntu have to subscribe in
> two different sites, and translations of XFCE aren't syncronized
> directly for [X]Ubuntu.
> I want to know if is possible to migrate XFCE translations to Rosetta.
> Rosetta is a site that manage .po files and allow users to quickly
> translate online, or download .po files, translate offline and them
> upload translated files.
> Rosetta is developed by Ubuntu Team and has many languages.
> I think that with Rosetta XFCE translation will be stimulated.
> More information: http://www.launchpad.net/rosetta

we have had this suggestion earlier and there are a few compellibng arguments against using rosetta:

1) using rosetta moves the translations *away* from Xfce to another site where we don't have control over
2) rosetta is ubuntu-focussed. Xfce is *agnostic* to distributions and wants to remain neutral to distributions and promote portability to other operating systems besides linux
3) you can yourself use rosetta and submit & merge xfce translations to us, but it's just much easier to get an Xfce translator account directly without rosetta (it saves you one login and a whole lot of time).

bottom line is that rosetta is not productive and we already have very efficient tools in place to translate Xfce.

Cheers,

Auke