[Xfce-i18n] Translations in Rosetta

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue May 16 11:45:16 CEST 2006

Álvaro Justen [Turicas] schreef:
> Hello,
> I use Ubuntu as my default distro and use XFCE as default window manager.
> I'm in a project called Xubuntu, that is Ubuntu with XFCE as default
> window manager.
> I created a Brazilian Team to translate Xubuntu software, but it is
> very hard to translate XFCE, because it is in other server (and don't
> has Rosetta ;)
> XFCE (and it's packages) is the unique Xubuntu software that isn't in
> Rosetta, so users that want to translate Xubuntu have to subscribe in
> two different sites, and translations of XFCE aren't syncronized
> directly for [X]Ubuntu.
> I want to know if is possible to migrate XFCE translations to Rosetta.
> Rosetta is a site that manage .po files and allow users to quickly
> translate online, or download .po files, translate offline and them
> upload translated files.
> Rosetta is developed by Ubuntu Team and has many languages.
> I think that with Rosetta XFCE translation will be stimulated.
> More information: http://www.launchpad.net/rosetta
>
> *Excuse me by my so bad English :(

We shouldn't be using non-open software to develop Xfce.

<small rant>
I don't understand why Rosetta isn't open and AFAIK Canonical has never
given a reason, so I can only assume it is meant as a competitive
advantage. Xfce should not favor any distribution or operating system
over another, so as far as I'm concerned using Rosetta is out of the
question.
</small rant>

	Jasper