[Xfce-i18n] Translations in Rosetta

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Fri May 5 18:12:51 CEST 2006

On Thu, 4 May 2006 16:54:27 -0300
Álvaro Justen [Turicas] wrote:

> Hello,

Hi again,

> I created a Brazilian Team to translate Xubuntu software, but
> it is very hard to translate XFCE, because it is in other server
> (and don't has Rosetta ;)

In Xfce, there's already a committer in Brazilian Portuguese,
I'd like to know what happens if Xfce adopts Rosetta.

So far, as I found Thunar is already registered, it can be assumed
a registration itself is possible, then, by mentioning `because it
is in other server', which would you like to do, a moving PO files
in the repository at `svn.xfce.org' to `launchpad.net' or a just
keeping mirrored the repository each others? I think the latter may
be possible, may not be...

> XFCE (and it's packages) is the unique Xubuntu software that
> isn't in Rosetta, so users that want to translate Xubuntu have
> to subscribe in two different sites, and translations of XFCE
> aren't synchronized directly for [X]Ubuntu.

Can I think you'd like to commit your files via Rosetta directory?
If those files are the same ones to be exported as `PO file format'
in the download section, an expanded line should be wrapped before
commits.

> I want to know if is possible to migrate XFCE translations to
> Rosetta. Rosetta is a site that manage .po files and allow users
> to quickly translate online, or download .po files, translate
> offline and them upload translated files.

There's a notification should be cleared:

  About Rosetta

   1. Is Rosetta Open/Free Software?

        + No, Rosetta is not Open or Free Software at the moment.
          Rosetta will become open source sometime in the future
          but we don't have a date, although some parts of the
          Launchpad have already been released under the GPL by
          Canonical Ltd.

   2. If Rosetta isn't free, how are the translations submitted to
      the system licenced?

        + Even if Rosetta isn't Free Software at this time, the
          translations created in and uploaded into Rosetta will
          be licenced under the same licence as the software.
          By using Rosetta, you give permission to Canonical Ltd.
          to publish those translations under the same licence as
          the software they belong to.

and from a header information in Kurdish translation of Thunar:

  # Kurdish translation for Thunar.
  # Copyright (c) 2006 Canonical Ltd, and Rosetta Contributors.
  # This file is distributed under the same license as the Thunar package.
  # Erdal Ronahi <erdal.ronahi at gmail.com>, 2006.
  #
  msgid ""
  msgstr ""
  "Project-Id-Version: Thunar 0.3.1svn\n"
  "Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
  "POT-Creation-Date: 2006-05-02 20:36+0900\n"
  "PO-Revision-Date: 2006-05-04 21:32+0000\n"
  "Last-Translator: Erdal Ronahi <erdal.ronahi at gmail.com>\n"
  "Language-Team: Kurdish <ku at li.org>\n"
  "Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n != 1\n"

Apart from their statements on the license issue, does that mean
the developers/the translators have to give a copyright once to
the company above? In Xfce, the copyright holder for each files
in the `po' directory is the author of the package (in other
words, the developer), and a translator is just referred in a
credit, as a contributor.

> Rosetta is developed by Ubuntu Team and has many languages.

The term `Ubuntu' frequently appearing at the page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RosettaFAQ gives me a certain impressions,
in my personal opinion, Xfce isn't dedicated for Linux/[X]Ubuntu,
while I can see Debian, FC etc. at the section `Distributions',
I'd like to know whether Rosetta has a neutral position in the
translation projects (there're Pootle http://pootle.wordforge.org/,
Translation Project http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation).

The last thing I should notice you is that Xfce has some
exceptions about the places translatable files are stored,
usually they're located at `$package/trunk/po',
`$package/trunk/po-doc'.

The files located in the irregular places are:

  installit/trunk/i18n/po/i2t.pot
  xfce-utils/trunk/xfce4-about/INFO
  xfdesktop/trunk/menu.xml
  xfdesktop/trunk/modules/menu/xfce-registered-categories.xml
  xffm/trunk/fgr/po/fgr.pot
  xffm/trunk/libxffm/po/libxffm.pot
  xffm/trunk/scramble/po/scramble.pot
  xffm/trunk/xfdiff/po/xfdiff.pot
  xffm/trunk/xffm-gui/po/xffm.pot
  xffm/trunk/xfmime-edit/po/xfmimeedit.pot

and there're a plain ASCII, XML files.

> I think that with Rosetta XFCE translation will be stimulated.

I can agree with you.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt