[Xfce-i18n] po/LINGUAS

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Sat Mar 25 07:01:29 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:29:31 +0100
Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> > Probably you may know but we (Benedikt, me) had been
> > talking about a document translation process since before
> > for forthcoming 4.4 (or 4.6) release, in the beginning,
> > I suggested using `xml2po' (Python script, author Danilo
> > Segan, licensed under GPL) to translate them in PO file
> > format, and adding a different directory from `po'.
>
> Does this need to be installed for the user, or only for
> the developers/translators?

To be strictly, it's only for me, Jean-François (see
thunar/trunk/po-doc/Makefile.am), but it might be
recommended for you and translators if you're going to keep
an effort on your well-written/translated documents.

(snip)

> > 3. Arabic, Hebrew translator wouldn't welcome this way to
> >    translate.
>
> What exactly is the problem here? Or is it just that docbook
> is unsuitable for RTL languages?

As you said, generated $package.xml with DocBook XML DTD V4.2,
later converted to HTML, is the problem. Anyway, from my installed
files below

  /usr/local/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.69.1/common/ar.xml
  /usr/local/share/xml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.69.1/common/he.xml

and libxml2-2.6.23, libxslt-1.1.15, in xfce-utils 4.2.3, I've
took the screenshots from one by `xsltproc ../../xfce-nochunk.xsl \
xfce-utils.xml | sed 's/xfce.css/xfce-rtl.css/', the another
given by Hebrew translator Dotan.

You may find the problem in these screenshots or may not...

BTW, it's too large to attach (186KB).

> > 4. Spamming, spamming against the commits ML, probably it's
> >    time to separate xfce4-commits from xfce4-i18n-commits ML.
>
> :-)
>
> If it makes things easier for translators or for you I'm all
> for it.

Probably only problem may be, it breaks serial numbers and some
just dislike that. As for me, it's pleasant if I don't have to
take care of ML flooding by daily short line commits.

There're shameful bogus translations should be revised in
Japanese. However, frequently minor updating has developers
hire the assassin, I guess.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt