[Xfce-i18n] po/LINGUAS

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat Mar 25 07:19:27 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:29:31 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:
> Daichi Kawahata schreef:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Probably you may know but we (Benedikt, me) had been talking
>> about a document translation process since before for
>> forthcoming 4.4 (or 4.6) release, in the beginning, I suggested
>> using `xml2po' (Python script, author Danilo Segan, licensed
>> under GPL) to translate them in PO file format, and adding a
>> different directory from `po'.
>>

> Does this need to be installed for the user, or only for the
> developers/translators?
>
>> That brings this file (LINGUAS) to add since the number of
>> translated languages aren't always the same, in case there're
>> different files in between `po' and `po-doc'. So Benedikt has
>> modified the script to be suitable.
>>
>> Now, how do you think about adopting this way to translate
>> documents in your package?
>>
>> Pros:
>>
>> 1. Easy to synchronize, you don't have to worry about
>>    your daily documents updating. `make update-po' resolves,
>>    even for screenshots, it's detected.
>> 2. No need to add new language code at the toplevel
>>    directory (a translators can add it to this file in the
>>    same level).
>> 3. Therefore, it may make easy for management in
>>    permission-wise (but only Auke, Brian may know).

doesn't change a thing - the permissions still need to be hand-pointed to the proper /po components. So for me it doesn't care.

>> Cons:
>>
>> 1. It costs the additional disk spaces due to the filesize
>>    of PO files in general.
>> 2. It needs the additional permission other than to `po'
>>    for us (I'm not sure whether it's counted as negative, only
>>    Auke, Brian may know).

doubles the rules I have to maintain, but that's not a showstopper right now. Depends really on how it is implemented.

>> 3. Arabic, Hebrew translator wouldn't welcome this way to
>>    translate.
>
> What exactly is the problem here? Or is it just that docbook is
> unsuitable for RTL languages?
>
>> 4. Spamming, spamming against the commits ML, probably it's
>>    time to separate xfce4-commits from xfce4-i18n-commits ML.

that is going to a be *very* hard. I have no idea how to do this right now in an efficient way.

Auke