[Xfce-i18n] Dutch translation of "Widget"

Rimas Kudelis rq at akl.lt
Wed Jan 25 13:47:15 CET 2006

Adriano Winter Bess wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 12:44:11PM +0100, Vincent wrote:
>
>> Hey, I started working on the Dutch translation of Thunar (I've done about
>> half now), however, I had a problem with the Dutch translation of "Widget".
>> If there's a Dutchie which can help me out, please do so.
>>

> I don't know Dutch (I'm brazilian), but in fact I think I would face the
> same problem translating it into brazilian portuguese. AFAIK, "Widget"
> is actually a jargon in GUI design and is a contraction for "Window Gadget".
> Maybe (depending on the context, I haven't seen it yet) you could
> translate somehing like "Window Gadget" into Dutch.
If I understand it correctly, this word shouldn't bother the end user at
all, unless you're translating some toolkit or an IDE.
Also, if I understand it correctly, "widgets" are buttons, labels,
scrollbars, spinners etc. And all these things are also called
"controls". Maybe it's easier to translate the word "control" then?

Regards,

RQ