[Xfce-i18n] [Orage][nl] -- Translation questions.

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Apr 17 23:26:47 CEST 2006

Stephan Arts wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Daichi Kawahata <daichi at xfce.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 12:02:33 +0200
>> Stephan Arts wrote:
>>
>>> I was looking at the dutch translation for Orage, and i noticed
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> <systray> (short for system-tray) is marked fuzzy, the correct
>>> translation for that is 'Systeemvak'
>>>
>>> <pager> i don't think this should be translated because the pager
>>> plugin is called pager too.
>>>
>>> UTC is marked fuzzy, i don't know why because UTC is a common term.
>>> And as far as i can tell should be UTC in dutch too.
>>>
>>> Locations in ical-code.c (like Africa, America etc) are not
>>> translated at all. Any idea on how/if that should be translated?
>> I think you're willing to provide your Dutch translations to us.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Daichi
>
> Sure, but i have more questions then answers at the moment. (Not sure
> what should be translated, or how -- should a capital-name be
> translated for example -- i think not, because there is no Dutch name
> for Azerbadyan and Adis-abbeba)
> If i know what is expected from the time-zone stuff i can send an
> updated .po file.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan

I believe you should translate the names that are spelled differently in
Dutch and just copy the strings that don't need changes. But keep in
mind that gettextizing these strings has the added benefit of allowing
unicode characters in the translated strings even though the originals
are in pure ascii (and have underscores in place of spaces). Anyone
willing to grind up english translation files just to put all those
spaces and diacritics and stuff back to the user visible list? ;)

I'm sure nl.wikipedia.org or google will help you find the correct
spelling for most of the places in the list if you're ever in doubt.

- Jari