[Xfce-i18n] Checking a translation in a real situation (e.g: EO)?

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Wed Sep 28 07:50:00 CEST 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:27:03 +0200
sylvain.vedrenne at free.fr wrote:

> Checking the strings from [xfce-mcs-manager] seems possible since
> XFCE-4.2.2 contains an EO translation of it, but I don't know how
> to see the strings of xfce-mcs-manager...

You don't have to compile a program from source if you have already
workable binary installed, what you'll have to is just compile &
install your PO file,

  $ msgfmt -c -o package.mo eo.po
  $ cp package.mo /usr/share/locale/eo/LC_MESSAGES

or get the sources and './configure' then modify po/Makefile manually
as seems you'd like to try your translations with running application,
the target lines are:

  around line 55-58
  POFILES =  eo.po af.po
  GMOFILES =  eo.gmo af.gmo

  around line 225
  CATALOGS =  eo.gmo af.gmo

then 'make && su && make install', of course you can add `eo' at
the macro BM_I18N() (4.2), XDT_I18N() (trunk) in configure.ac then
'./autogen.sh', in this case however you'll have to install xfce4-
dev-tools and it takes time.

> In addition, to see the strings from [xfce4-session], [xfce4-panel],
> [xfwm4], I have tried compiling XFCE4.3.x from SVN, but without
> success...

What exact error do you have?

> => What is the easiest way to check the EO strings in a real
> situation?

There's no easy way to switch the environment version unless you
create the another path for it e.g. /usr/local/xfce-4.2 while trunk
is installed in /usr/local, but I'm not sure about your distribution
and initial script mechanism. For me, I had degraded running version
to 4.2, had translations fixed then move to trunk, probably someone
tells you more reasonable way.

> - Maybe I should add them to the sources of XFCE4.2.2 (and then
> ./configure --prefix=... && make && make install), but how can the
> eo.po be added to the tar.gz source tree actually?

Like I said, try one of above latter two.

Daichi

language codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
country codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt