[Xfce-i18n] For KBabel users

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Sun Oct 30 15:09:57 CET 2005

I've got a mail from Nicolas, here it is (only long line is wrapped.)

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:55:46 +0100
From: Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de>
To: Daichi Kawahata <daichi at xfce.org>
Subject: Fwd: Re: For KBabel users

Let's try again, but to you only...

Subject: Re: For KBabel users
Date: Sunday 30 October 2005 12:48
From: Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg at snafu.de>
<xfce-i18n at xfce.org>

On Sunday 30 October 2005 04:29, Daichi Kawahata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since before, I've been noticing something strange behaviors in
> KBabel outside of KDE project (in KDE, I heard it works well),
> so I've posted about that to the KBabel ML, got an answer from
> developer!?,
>
>   http://www.archivum.info/kbabel@kde.org/2005-10/msg00032.html

KDE's Mailman creates some archives for the KBabel mailing list too:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kbabel/

> (I couldn't find ML archive in KBabel page). From what developer
> told me, I understood KBabel goes different way on an initial PO
> file generating, if my understanding is correct, a KBabel user
> tries to open `$package.pot' file then ignoring `t', KBabel
> discards `.po' (with basename) and `$package' is put into the
> `Project-Id-Version', however if POT file isn't given, user
> creates his/her own POT file with one of given files (PO files),
> names it `$lang.pot' then tries to open that, right?

KBabel uses as Project-Id of a file the basename of the file name, if
KBabel is set to overwrite the Project-Id (which is the default).

Therefore if you have $package.po, the Project-Id becomes $package. If
you have $lang.po the Project-Id becomes $lang .

KBabel, at least the editor part, does not really care about the POT
file. (For KDE, when creating a new PO files, a user is supposed to
load the POT file in KBabel and then to save it as PO file.)

Note: the behaviour of KBabel is that way, as KDE has POT and PO files
of the same names (except the different extension, of course), whatever
the language of a PO file. Therefore the Project-Id makes useful
Project-Id names. (As for why the version is not considered, I can only
guess that no automatical way was found for it.)

> That must be the reason there were so many language codes in the
> initial header, but header style policy in KDE isn't same with
> GNU, Xfce nor GNOME (it doesn't care of version, copyright strings
> other than KDE style strings blah, blah, blah), please be sure
> your settings again.

Yes, KBabel must be told not to touch important data at save (in the
Project/Configure in newer KBabel versions).

> If you want to know more details (full conversations, sorry I
> forgot to keep sending to the public ML), I'll attach them.

A main point that should perhaps be repeated here is not to trust the
"new project" wizard. It is known to be incomplete (and will unfortunately
remain so in KBabel 1.11 of KDE 3.5). So it is highly recommended to check
the Project/Configure settings after having run the wizard.

Also note that by "project" KBabel does not mean the same as "project"
in Project-Id. For KBabel a project would be more a collection of PO
files handled with the same configuration.

(...)

> Regards,

Have a nice day!

Thanks Nicolas.