[Xfce-i18n] Dutch translation

Benoît Liessens benoni29 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:40:59 CEST 2005

On 10/25/05, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hoi BenoÃ(r)t,
>
> BenoÃ(r)t LIESSENS schreef:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I'm willing to help Xfce development and after a quick browse through
> > the i18n pages it seems like the Dutch translation could use some extra
> > workforce.
> > So anybody out here working on be_NL or nl_NL version that can give me a
> > quick intro on how to get started ?
> >

> Thanks for the offer. We are currently moving our SVN repository to a
> new server, so you'll have to be patient for a little while before you
> can get started ;-)

That explains why svn checkout failed today ...

The idea is that http://i18n.xfce.org/ will soon contain explanations of
> how to work with translations and SVN.

I have read the announce about i18n.xfce.org <http://i18n.xfce.org> and
looking forward to the first content posted ;-)

I am currently maintaining the Dutch translation, but I'm happy with any
> help I can get (there's a couple of other things I need to do as well ;-).

Are you maintaining NL all by yourself ?

Are you familiar with how translations work with gettext and po-files?

I have heard of 'gettext' and 'po-files' but no, I have never
had a close look at them. (I'll Google for some details) I have done some
software translations
before (for my previous employer). My main concern/issue - for sake of QA -
is consistency:
How has <fill in english word> been translated previously ? But I assume
some sort of tool can assist me with that issue ?

Basically, you have a file, nl.po, that contains all translatable
> strings of a program and their translations.

One po-file per app/module/directory ?

BTW: is any language other than english allowed on this list ?

Greetings,

Benoît