[Xfce-i18n] Parsing error at Translation Statistics

Daichi Kawahata daichi.k at aioros.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Jun 10 00:25:07 CEST 2005

Although I'm replying you, am talking to Jean-Francois, Benedikt and
the other translators at the same time, maybe.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:06:04 -0700
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> > I've noticed there're several parsing errors at
> >
> >     http://xfce.org/~kelnos/xfce4/i18n/
>
> The usual cause of that is stuff like the original string ends with
> '\n', but the translated string doesn't.  I dunno; you can use 'msgfmt
> - -c' (I think) to show the error messages).

What you expected is exactly right, I've finally convinced that those
errors were caused by missing '\n' in the obsolete translations and '-c'
option wouldn't detect them at all in such a case, instead

  $ msgattrib --no-obsolete -o xx.po.new xx.po ; mv -f xx.po.new xx.po

or manually removing corresponding line would resolve them.

> > I don't know what kind of parsing method there, but could you try
> > them I've attached ?
>
> Sorry, not really something I'm interested in doing.  If you want to
> fix it, fine, but please make sure it actually works and then submit
> it to Jean-Francois.

In this case however, whether it actually works would be never confirmed
unless they're parsed at your page, assuming you have write access to
SVN, that's why I'd like to ask you ...

> Really, you should just get in touch with the translator that owns
> the file and get them to fix it, as they're the only ones that know
> for sure whether or not your fix is correct.

I was talking about a format itself (mostly header fields) not trans-
lation contents, what it had to have change them is default values,
and they should have had fixed forms basically, so anybody who knows
proper format could have modified them without me.

Now, an attached script will probably detect any kind of validation
errors even in the obsolete part, but I really don't know how to tell
translators about them if I/somebody have/has found errors, using bug-
zilla or this list per such an error might be not a better idea.

Or rather, using own intltool with tiny modification like an attached
patch may reduce them. Benedikt, is it possible merging this modified
intltool into recommended autotools ?

Daichi