[Xfce-i18n] Questions about translation

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Wed Oct 20 11:09:47 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Juha Kautto wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have now done some translations and I have few questions. Hope
>> somebody knows ?
>>
>> 1) I translated so called .desktop files, too, but I do not see those
>> being used anywhere. So is there any place in Xfce to see how the
>> translations in desktop look like ? (kdm shows xfce.desktop in
>> finnish, but I mean inside Xfce)
>

> the translated strings appear in the autogenerated desktop menu
> (specifically, the xfce-related .desktop file should end up in the
> Settings menu).  if not, then it's an xfdesktop bug.

There is now something that I simple do not get....Bare with me and
let's check panel as an example:
When I do:
$ xfce-setting-show
I can see: "Xfce Paneeli" which indeed is finnish, but when I check the
corresponding .desktop file:
/usr/local/xfce4/share/applications/xfce-panel-settings.desktop
I see no [fi] language:
Name=Xfce 4 Panel Settings
Name[fr]=Paramètres du panneau Xfce 4
Name[nl]=Instellingen Xfce 4 Panel
Comment=Panel Settings
Comment[fr]=Paramétrage du panneau
Comment[nl]=Instellingen voor het paneel

But I do find the finnish translation from the panel fi.po file. And if
I change that and make it the new po file, the description in the
setting changes, too. So the strings are not coming from .desktop file ?

Did you mean the xfce-setting-show command or something else ? Where is
that autogenerated desktop menu file you mentioned ? Should it be here:
~/.cache/xfce4/desktop ? the content is:
$ lt
total 8
-rw-r--r--    1 jkautto  jkautto       834 Oct 19 21:17
menu-cache--home-jkautto-.config-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 jkautto  jkautto       118 Oct 19 21:17
menu-cache--home-jkautto-.config-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.rc

and the right-click menu in my system has always been the same. very
static. Do I have something  wrong in my setup ?