[Xfce-i18n] Questions about translation

Brian J. Tarricone kelnos at xfce.org
Wed Oct 20 04:19:52 CEST 2004

Juha Kautto wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have now done some translations and I have few questions. Hope
> somebody knows ?
>
> 1) I translated so called .desktop files, too, but I do not see those
> being used anywhere. So is there any place in Xfce to see how the
> translations in desktop look like ? (kdm shows xfce.desktop in
> finnish, but I mean inside Xfce)

the translated strings appear in the autogenerated desktop menu
(specifically, the xfce-related .desktop file should end up in the
Settings menu).  if not, then it's an xfdesktop bug.

> 2) Are there any know problems in this area? I copied and tested new
> translations, but in some places the new finnish words do not appear.
> Previous line is ok but the suddenly there is english and after that
> again Finnish. May be my error, but efore I start checking what it
> might be...is there anything that is known ? perhaps too long phrases
> are reverted back to the original english ?

that's weird.  i've never heard of something like that happening, but
i'm not to well-versed in how gettext works.

    -brian