[Xfce-i18n] Need for more English documentators?

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Thu Nov 4 20:11:56 CET 2004

Some time ago (probably on Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:58:36 +0100)
Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> had occasion to say the following:

> This is what we have now:
>
> - User guide (installed with xfce-utils). Explains concepts and basic
>    operations for the Xfce desktop environment. As a non-programmer
>    you are the ideal person to read this over and see if it makes any
>    sense, and if there are important things missing.
>
> - Manuals. Each component should install a manual explaining its
>    operation and configuration in more detail. Not all Xfce components
>    have a manual at the moment, so that is definitely what needs most
>    work.

OK, I'll take a look around the manuals first, as they're bound to be
smaller and easier to digest. :-)

One question: how do I submit updates?  CVS (ooh, I hope not; I'll have
to learn that first!), or do I have to send things along here on the ML?

> Corrections to spelling and grammar are of course appreciated, since
> most of us are non-native speakers.

Frankly, grammar is my strong suit, so I'll definitely correct
anything I see.

> The documentation is written in docbook xml, which is not too
> complicated once you've seen the examples that are already present. I
> can also easily convert plain text documentation to docbook without
> too much effort.

What's a good way to edit it?  vim?  Any necessary reading I need to do
to understand the syntax?

> Thanks a lot for offering to help out, documentation is an important
> part of a software project, and always hard to keep up-to-date.

Glad I can find a niche, however small it may seem to be.

Thanks,
Andrew