[Xfce-i18n] Need for more English documentators?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Nov 4 20:33:25 CET 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:
> One question: how do I submit updates?  CVS (ooh, I hope not; I'll have
> to learn that first!), or do I have to send things along here on the ML?

ML is fine, the files won't be too big. Or you can send them to me.

>>Corrections to spelling and grammar are of course appreciated, since
>>most of us are non-native speakers.
>

> Frankly, grammar is my strong suit, so I'll definitely correct
> anything I see.

Great.

>>The documentation is written in docbook xml, which is not too
>>complicated once you've seen the examples that are already present. I
>>can also easily convert plain text documentation to docbook without
>>too much effort.
>

> What's a good way to edit it?  vim?  Any necessary reading I need to do
> to understand the syntax?

I use vim. Any text editor should do, but syntax highlighting may make
things a bit easier to read. To start a new document just copy an
existing one, and replace the content with your own ;-) syntax is pretty
straightforward if you just look at for instance the panel manual,
you'll find all markup you need (sections, paragraphs, lists, links and
screenshots).

>>Thanks a lot for offering to help out, documentation is an important
>>part of a software project, and always hard to keep up-to-date.
>

> Glad I can find a niche, however small it may seem to be.

It's not small. Unfortunately ;-)