xffm-deskview

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Aug 10 15:45:43 CEST 2005

El mié, 10-08-2005 a las 19:25 +1000, Mr Machine escribió:
> sorry for all these questions (i'm writing an xfce how-to for some
> friends whom i've xfce'd, in preparation for the next release) ...
>
> was hoping someone could clear up a few queries about xffm-deskview (and
> most recent kid on the block, xffm-desktop) ... i read from the dev-blog

xffm-deskview and xffm-desktop are synonymous (I get mixed up with these
two names so I use them both). Xffm creates symlinks but only four
executables (not counting the apps dir). These are xffm-run,
xffm-deskview, xffm-treeview and xffm-iconview. Xffm-run is meant to be
a faster replacement for xfrun4 (still testing and tweaking).

> that there was some screwiness with setting the background with
> xffm-deskview. apparently it will grab it only when it has been set
> *after* deskview starts. i've tried this with xsetbg, but no go ... if
> however i kill xffm-deskview, start xfdesktop, then restart
> xffm-deskview, open "desktop settings", tick and untick the "show image"
> button, i get xffm-deskview plus my background. but then if i save the
> session on exit, it don't give me the same setup on logging in (i have
> to basically go through the above steps again). is there a better way to
> do this, or is this still being worked on?

The behaviour is to avoid screwiness caused by programs which leave a
bogus Pixmap on exit.  As such, xffm-deskview will assume the Pixmap it
finds and startup is bogus, whether it is or not, and use a solid
background. After startup it will accept any Pixmap set by an external
program which is referenced by the X property _XSETROOT_ID. Apparently
xsetbg does not set this property. I'll look into what it actually does
and see if I can add support for 4.3.3 release.

When you tick and untick the "show image" button at desktop settings,
xffm-deskview notices that the Pixmap has changed and updates
accordingly (here the X property _XSETROOT_ID is used).

I'm not sure whether the desktop setting plugin can be invoked on a
command line basis. If it can (probably not) then you could put the
command into the environment variable DESKTOP_BG_COMMAND from the
filemanager setting plugin.

Anyways, I'll let you know if it is possible (i.e., not too difficult)
to enable support for xsetbg later today...

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>