Panel plugin autodetecting

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Apr 21 08:08:04 CEST 2004

Hey Scott,

Better use the xfce4-dev list. This one is a bit dormant :)

Scott Barron wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did some messing around tonight and added the capability for the panel
> to find newly installed plugins without having to be restarted.  It's a
> pretty trivial patch, but I've just started looking through xfce so the
> developers should look it over and make sure I'm not missing something.
> The patch also handles the plugin being uninstalled, it will not show it
> in the "Add new item" dialog.  I had to add the path to the ControlInfo
> struct because I wasn't sure if I was otherwise able to get the path
> using ControlInfo.  At any rate, any thoughts or comments on the patch
> are appreciated.

Hehe, you looked at the right time. It's easier now that I created the
separate dialog. Looks good, but I want to have a closer look at it,
before committing. I should have time to do it this week.

> While doing this I noticed that if there is a configuration for a plugin
> set up for xfce but the plugin is not installed the panel will segfault
> on start up.  I don't have time to look into it tonight, but the
> relevant backtrace is:

Oops, that sounds like a pretty big bug. Thanks.