Idea about extended menus

Peeter Vois Peeter.Vois at mail.ee
Fri Mar 29 09:02:06 CET 2002

Hi,

> I'm not Joe, but I don't like this idea. :)

:)

>I mean there is nothing
> really bad with this, but it will affect the usability. Just look: right
> now, you can reach _any_ item, available on the XFCE panel with
> (maximum) two clicks. So it's either "click" or "click, move mouse, and
> click". But with the sub-menus that would be "click, move mouse, click,
> move mouse, click"(and so on for sub-sub...-sun-menus).

Thats rhight but if one would not need this no need to use.

> Or another example, do you remember, that you can drag&drop files on the
> panel? Dragging and dropping files to the sub-menus (and even
> sub-sub-menus)  will be to cumbersome. That would be "click, move mouse,
> click, then drag&drop" instead of "drag&drop" or "click and drag&drop".

This is fallback for those who needs sub menus. I do not know right now
how much the code size will raise.

> Besides, how many applications do you use, so you can't put all icons
> into the "regular" panel?

Thats right I already have size problems, not because there is no space
but I have the app context problems. I have 800x600 screen and 11 popups
and 85 apps total in submenus. Some menus are already full, so can't add
apps anymore, and others are out of context. And there are many things
that should go into ... . That's sure that I can reduce the popup menu
icon size from middle to small but it is much easier to find app using
middle sized icons.

> where you supposed to have icons for all available application, it's the
> place where you keep the icons for you favorite (frequently used)
> applications.

Thats right but another statements:
1) I hate to search particular executable with xterm if I rarely use them.
I prefer the commonly used apps to run from terminal and to hold in menus
the rarely used app if there is no space.
2) For dumb user: If it is not in menu it does not exist at all. It is
too much to ask from my darling that she would know all the useful junk I
have in my computer.

Hehh, we can talk long and long more about the two opinions but I just
gave an idea and it is not needed that somebody builds it into the XFCE.
If I'll find the time I can do it for myself and if someone will like it
then to share it ... and If I'll think it is junk then to trash it ...

P.S! Thanks for opinion and all opinions are welcome :)

Best Reagrds ...

      Peeter Vois
http://my.tele2.ee/vois