CVS xftree crashing...

Stephane Paltani spaltani at head-cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:11:52 CEST 2002

Hi Edscott, Olivier,

> Yes, same with 3.8.16. I jumped from 3.8.14c to CVS, and just before that
> I upgraded gtk+/glib from 1.2.8 (I think) to 1.2.10. Could it that
> 1.2.10 does not accept a NULL parameter anymore? Another thing is that
> I am on a Solaris 8 Ultra. I wanted to try on my linux laptop yesterday night,
> but I forgot; sorry! I'll check that tonight. (My favourite file manager
> is called "tcsh"!, so I never tried "xftree" since my last upgrade).

It might be a problem on Solaris only. More precisely, of the SUN X libraries.
XmbTextListToTextProperty (in gdk_window_set_icon_name) does not like having
the second parameter a pointer to a NULL string (which I can understand!).

In XFce 3.8.14c, xftree made sure that it never passed a NULL pointer
to set_icon. In >3.8.16, it makes sure it _does_ pass a NULL pointer
to set_icon.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to protect the call to gdk_window_set_icon_name
in libs/xfce-common.c -> set_icon:

if (name!=NULL) gdk_window_set_icon_name (toplevel->window, name);

What do you think?

Stephane