CVS xftree crashing...

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Thu Jun 20 17:06:42 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 09:11, Stephane Paltani wrote:
> Hi Edscott, Olivier,
>
> > Yes, same with 3.8.16. I jumped from 3.8.14c to CVS, and just before that
> > I upgraded gtk+/glib from 1.2.8 (I think) to 1.2.10. Could it that
> > 1.2.10 does not accept a NULL parameter anymore? Another thing is that
> > I am on a Solaris 8 Ultra. I wanted to try on my linux laptop yesterday night,
> > but I forgot; sorry! I'll check that tonight. (My favourite file manager
> > is called "tcsh"!, so I never tried "xftree" since my last upgrade).
>
> It might be a problem on Solaris only. More precisely, of the SUN X libraries.
> XmbTextListToTextProperty (in gdk_window_set_icon_name) does not like having
> the second parameter a pointer to a NULL string (which I can understand!).
>
> In XFce 3.8.14c, xftree made sure that it never passed a NULL pointer
> to set_icon. In >3.8.16, it makes sure it _does_ pass a NULL pointer
> to set_icon.
>
> Perhaps the easiest way would be to protect the call to gdk_window_set_icon_name
> in libs/xfce-common.c -> set_icon:
>
> if (name!=NULL) gdk_window_set_icon_name (toplevel->window, name);
>
> What do you think?

I think the following is better. The code of xftree_gui.c reads:

  win->iconname = NULL;
  set_icon (win->top,win->iconname, xftree_icon_xpm);
  set_title_ctree (ctree, en->path);

But it should be:

  win->iconname = NULL;
  set_title_ctree (ctree, en->path);
  set_icon (win->top,win->iconname, xftree_icon_xpm);

In the second case, win->iconname is set appropriately after the call
to set_title_ctree, since win is data associated to ctree.

I've updated the CVS and it should work properly on Solaris.

Edscott