xfpager, and general observations

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Mon Aug 19 03:21:43 CEST 2002

Bingo! I was able to reproduce your problem on my machine! Though, I must
admit, I can not explain it. :( Maybe Olivier can help us. I have to look
closer to the way, how xfwm starts modules.

Right now I have one more question: are you using the same shell as 'xfce'
user (or whatever sandbox owner username is on your machine)? Hmm, xfwm is
using execvp function, to spawn the module... It has nothing to do with
the shell... But that's the only idea I have now. Please make sure that
your account and xfce test user account have the same shell and the same
PATH.

Here is the explanation, how I managed to reproduce the problem:

I though I may have something to do with timing during the
xfwm-xfce-xfpager communications, and I was going to suggest you to delay
xfpager startup. But when I've decided to try it on my machine, I suddely
got exactly the same behaviour: not matter, what is in the xfwmrc file,
xfwm has it's own idea of xfpager location (ignoring xfpager.geometry
settings).

What I did: I moved xfpager binary to xfpager.bin and wrote short shell
wrapper.

-- xfpager wrapper starts --
#!/bin/bin

sleep 5
exec xfpager.bin ${1:+"$@"}

# EOF
-- xfpager wrapper ends --

In fact, I can remove 'sleep 5' line, and xfpager will still ignore
geometry settings. But when I remove this wrapper script and allow xfwm to
execute xfpager binary directly everything works, and xfpager is always
taking the designated place on the screen. Very strange. I will look at
the xfwm<->module communication code.

P.S. the behaviour of the "Quit" function on your box still looks
strange. AFAIK no matter which "Exit"/"Quit" button you are clicking, the
same "Quit" command got sent to the xfwm process.

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:30:02 -0700
> From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
> To: xfce-dev at moongroup.com
> Subject: Re: xfpager, and general observations
>
> Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >>
> >> So starting `xfwm -noxfce' with the edited xfwmrc as shown above in your
> >> instructions.  I see the pager at the top of my Xnest window a little
> >> to the right. (and no panel)
> >>
> >> Adding this to xfwmrc
> >>   *xfpager.geometry +500+400
> >>
> >> And `xfwm -noxfce'
> >>
> >> Brings the pager about center, so its working as it should.
> >>

> > Aha! Maybe your machine is too fast for XFCE... :) And if you will remove
>
> What I reported above is correct behavior... is it not?  the geometry
> shown should bring pager to about center.  That is what happened.
>
> > 'AddToFunc' lines (but leave xfpager.geometry line) from xfwmrc and start
> > xfwm, and xfwm will start xfce panel -- just the usual session but in the
> > sandbox... Please try it and tell us what will happen.
>
> With the AddToFunc lines commented out, no pager is started.  panel
> started as it should.  Setting the pallette/startup/[x]xfpager and a
> restart.  As it should, the  pager appears at geometry specified.  My
> current spec from xfwmrc
>
>    *xfpager.geometry 170x120+1141+1050
>
> Puts the pager level with and at the right (just touching) the panel.
> And at a size I like.
>
> I haven't been able to duplicate the problems we say previously.
>
> >> I notice one phenomena.  With no panel, there is no handy way to quit
> >> a session cleanly.  So if you had any xterms running or whatever,
> >> when you ^ c to stop xfwm in the Xnest window.  On next startup you
> >> begin to accumulate xterms in the Xnest sand box.
> >>
> >> I tried adding `Key  q   A  CSM Quit' to the sandbox xfwmrc file.
> >> But when I press the combo, it quits not only Xnest sandbox but my
> >> regular X sesion too!... hehe
> >> Backs me clear out to a console prompt.
> >>
> >> I guess one needs the panel in the Xnest sandbox to quit cleanly.
> >
> > Hmm, it works as it should on my machine. I mean, when I'm choosing
> > "Quit XFWM" -> "Quit" from the root window pop up menu (left click on the
> > root window) only the xfwm in the sandbox got killed. My regular session
> > (which is, of course, xfwm too) is staying alive. I've just tried it.
> > Maybe it has something to do with startx script. I'm using xdm (no
> > console).
>
> Please note that in the above description I didn't use the panel
> `quit' button or menu `quit' like you did.  I set a key combo, shown
> above, to invoke quit.  When I use that keycombo in the sandbox.  It
> quits out of Xnest, and the regular X (also xfce) session.  All
> the way out to console mode.
>
> How might I make the panel a bit larger?

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."